Avencast

Official 'Avencast - Rise of the Mage' discussion board
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hopping around?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:55 pm 

I downloaded a demo and I'm not sure I got the right thing. This demo seems to jump all around. First I'm level 5 or 6, fight in a small dungeon and all of a sudden I'm level 16. What gives?

Did I download the right thing? If so, is there another demo where you actually play from the beginning of the game? I was expecting something along the lines of Titan Quest, not Tomb Raider...

I read about the demo on RPGWatch so I was expecting a crpg. Is it?

P.S. I'm 43 so twitch games went out a LONG time ago for me :) Nothing wrong with them, except for my skill!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:14 pm 
Aventroll

The demo is designed to give you a taste of all the phases of the original game. The pathetic part when it's more useful to hit them with a stick than cast spells at them, and later parts when you can experience the full benefit of spellcasting and movement, once you get used to it all on the lower level.

As for the comparison with Titan Quest or TR, you won't find any similarities with either really, them being complete opposites in both gameplay and quality in general. You can put the general impression of Avencast somewhere in between though, since in the original game you will play from the beginning (continuing as you wake up from the dream you play in demo).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:35 am 

Thanks Persuader. I'm not sure Avencast is for me. Parts of it sound very interesting (riddles, character building) but a game that is linear and has gamepad-like combos is definitely not for this 43 year old. It's funny because I keep seeing the game discussed in crpg forums.

I've heard the full game is $40. How many hours of play does it take to reach the end? I've read people are reaching the mid to upper 30s at the end but I found leveling to be extremely fast in the demo.

One more question. Is there a gamepad/controller setup in the full game? It really looks like that type of game so it should have the ability to use those types of input.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:45 am 
Adept

The game took me about 9-10 hours. Character building is quite limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:13 am 
Kyranian Master

9-10 hours? You must have been running through the game! I'm sure you missed a lot of the quests. Usually people play much longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:03 pm 
Aventroll

If you are a veteran, and a fan of non-linear plots, and high character development, willing to devote hours on end to a game to walk through every aspect of it, like myself on Fallout 2 or Baldur (etc...), then no, Avencast is not really for you. While it is fun to play, and very dynamic control-wise and considering battles, it has none of the typical RPG elements. Then again, there's basically no hope for true RPGs anymore, the focus is too much on graphics (example - NWN and NWN2, an absolutely horrible game).

The game itself is very short, you can finish it with a lot of playing in some 2 days, not sure about those 9-10 hours though. While it makes you want to replay it as another type of mage, it won't drag you into a third replay (again, Fallout - 4 times, Baldur - 5 times each).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:21 pm 

Hmmm, I'll probably play it once the price has dropped. I want to support the indie-type games but $40 is way too much for this type of game. I'll grab it when it's $19.99 and/or once they flesh out the crpg elements.

@Persuader You might want to try Eschalon: Book I. It's a single-player old school crpg. Not as pretty as Avencast but it has very high production values. I'm going to mention Avencast on the Eschalon forums, in the interest of fairness. I'll mention it as a fast paced action crpg. Maybe Clockstone will get a registration or two from there.

I think this game should have been marketed as shareware rather than finding a publisher and trying to sell hard copies. Time will tell though. It's a bold idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:04 pm 
Aventroll

Thank you for the recommendation, if I get my hands on it somehow, I most definitely will. However, the gaming scene in Croatia is extremely grim, and lives only through either piracy or through two or three titles published a year, all price ranging from one third to a half of a standard paycheck. It's quite difficult to be able to find a game here, even if you can god knows how afford it.

I'm lucky to have generous friends all over Europe, so my originals mostly come from there, but finding the games I specifically need or want is almost impossible. I stumbled upon Avencast by chance, as well.

Either way, I'll try and find the game, I very much yearn for old school crpgs, especially ones with the scales shifting more towards the gameplay.