Avencast

Official 'Avencast - Rise of the Mage' discussion board
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Impressed!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:18 pm 
Mage

Hey there!

I'm from Vertex4, another studio being published by Lighthouse Int, developers of the new Real-time Strategy "SunAge".

Along with RTS, a real passion of mine is a good RPG. I've found too many are really dull and boring, involving no skill and all you need to complete the game is "TIME".

But not so with Avencast! I was awed by the beautiful visuals, especially those of the spells (you have some serious talent there!) and the brilliant control system.

It is indeed a bit hard to get used to and I find the "expert" mode is not-so-expert (camera always behind is best.) but the great use of combo movements and the way they are displayed on the GUI keeps the GUI to a minimum, the gameplay fluid and the controls pretty intuitive.

I loved the puzzles in the demo and I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my pre-ordered copy of Avencast to see what else is in store! I hope this game does well enough to warrant an expansion, as however long the story is, I'm sure I'll be wanting more by the end of it!

In terms of the spells... Awesome. I love their diversity, I love their colours and appearance. As an experienced Magi, I'd say they are quite realistic. ;)

I just wish I could give more constructive criticism, but at the moment I'm lacking anything truely bad to say about your game! I'll tell you if I find anything! :)

Thanks for doing something new with RPGs!

p.s. I bought Avencast, so you should buy SunAge. ;)

p.p.s. My copy of Final Fantasy XII lies dusty and forgotten while I am waiting for my copy of Avencast, filled with excitement!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:39 pm 
Kyranian Master

Thanks a lot for your really nice feedback!

We are very much looking forward to SunAge too and I'm definitely going to buy the game!

If there were a demo I would have played it already so I could give some comments as well :)

SunAge and Avencast rule 4ever 8) 8)

Cheers,
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:36 am 
Mage

No problem! I feel that feedback is not just about giving your respect for great artwork (I mean the more general form of art, including all aspects of development and maybe even publishing. ;)) but mainly about helping the artists (developers) to hone their abilities.

And on that note, I've found a few criticisms.

1. Items. They're not entirely obvious as to what exactly they do. I've noticed a large number of extremely similar items in the Demo, which means that when I pick up an item, I'm unable to get excited because I'm not quite sure if it's any better than what I've got.

Suggestion: Look into games such as Diablo 2 and Dungeon Siege 2 for inspiration on how they made their items really stand out. They have very obvious modifiers and have a larger impact on the game.

Comment: I can see that you wanted to focus Avencast as a mostly skill-based game, not relying on how lucky you get with loot drops. However, even if you want the loot changes to be minimum, try to make them stand out more. Perhaps a simple thing like, "+5% damage to X spell" or "+10% experience".

Maybe it's an unfair view from the demo, so I will re-evaluate this when I get my copy of the full game! :)

2. Stats. The stats don't mean anything to me and that is one of the things which makes the items less interesting. What does "+12 to blood magic" mean in real terms? Will I do X% more damage with BM spells? Will they use less mana? The numbers are hard to really get to grips with as there seems to be no statistics which tell you how much damage each item / spell does for that level of magic. (is there?)

On the whole, loving the game. Can't wait to see all the different types of spells, monsters, quests and puzzles. I'm especially looking forward to the story! (gotta love a good yarn)

We'd have love to have a demo out for SunAge! Unfortunately there were a few miscalculations and mistakes and we were delayed... quite a bit... but we're heading for a 16th Nov release and it looks promising! We'll get a demo together as soon as we go gold, promise. ;)

-- Agrees wholeheartedly about ruling 4ever --

I'm quite new to Vertex4 and only discovered SunAge a few months ago, so I have a really unbiased view. (yea, right... I hear you say) And as soon as I saw the Avencast gameplay footage, I fell in love with it right away. It was mainly the control scheme which captivated me, but as soon as I saw those magic spells, I was hooked!

I just think that the larger studios are producing dull games these days. Using the same-old tried-and-tested formula for making "successful" (profitable) games. It's something that is plaguing the Pop Charts these days too. It just leaves me wondering, "Who buys this rubbish?"

Perhaps the majority of earth are happy doing the same thing over and over. But if that is true, why not stick to an old game instead of buying the same game over and over? Why buy all the new branded RTS games when you could just be playing Dune II? Don't you want something original?

Like Avencast? ;) (or SunAge!)

Sorry, this is a bit long! :D Hope you enjoyed my comments and please don't take offence as I love your game and I'd love to help you guys improve your skills through constructive (destructive!) criticism. ;)

EDIT:
Quote:
Your order for Avencast: Rise Of The Mage has been posted.

Please allow 3-5 days delivery.

Please check the following order information:

Order reference: XXXXXXXXX
Title: Avencast: Rise Of The Mage
Price: GBP 17.99
Delivery Cost: FREE

YAY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:13 am 
Aventroll

Well said.
I have to agree with you on the items. While it makes more sense for drops being decreased on monsters, the few drops we do get would do well to be a bit improved. The item stats I have nothing against, though, it's quite easy to recognize which item is better than the one I have and which isn't, but diversity in appearance is what I'm hoping for in the full game.

I agree with the stats of +x to Soul Magic etc, not enough explanation was put into that and will leave some players in the dark, since over 75% players of any game come to the forum only if they encounter a bug, not to generally read through info... perhaps an in-game encyclopedia listing all possible item stats, monsters, etc, or simply expanding the help window with more explanation?

All in all, I love the demo (as far as I got, due to crashes I already posted), and I love the fact that the game was well optimized for weaker computers... I have a mediocre computer with a miserable GF6600GT, and I run it all on full quality without a single graphical glitch.

Nice work! Can't wait to try the full game.

P.S. Forgot to mention, I love the Expert control system. While the camera-following view is more practical and common, the Expert controls let me shoot up the whole screen with spells without having to turn around both myself and the camera. The combos for spells are also quite handy, so I don't have to keep one hand on the F keys all the time.