Avencast

Official 'Avencast - Rise of the Mage' discussion board
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Spell or Casting System -Is there an alternative?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:35 pm 

Crud, I had written up a long post and then the forum (the whole Avencast site died for a couple of minutes) so I lost my long post.

Anyway, I'll try again.

While Im waiting on Steam to complete the download of Avencast I've been reading about the game here and elsewhere and from what I gather, (please tell me if I'm misguided on this subject) the character is controlled through the WASD keys.

Is there an alternative method of controlling ones character? Such as mouse control, or a combination of mouse and keyboard?

Spells from what I briefly found information on, is also controlled through character movement, for example one post mentioned to shoot off some ice spell one needs to move the character forward and then backwards and then left click to execute the spell. Is there an alternative to this?

I ask because I have problems with my hands and using the WASD keys are sometimes very uncomfortable to very painful and I'm hoping there is an alternative to character movement and or spell casting in Avencast to accomodate those players that are either infirmed or just plain uncordinated in using WASD keys to control ones character and or spells.

Thank you,

Post subject: Re: Spell or Casting System -Is there an alternative?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:40 am 
Kyranian Master

You have to use the WSAD keys to move your character. That is part of the idea behind Avencast with a skill-based and action driven game play.

You can bind spells to specific keys though. So you can cast a spell by the press of a user-defined key.

Cheers,
Michael

Post subject: Re: Spell or Casting System -Is there an alternative?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:28 am 

I tried that "street fighter" movement combo thing for casting when I first tried the game and forgot about it after I simply bound them to hotkeys of my choice.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as I did. The control system was probably the coolest part of the game I thought. I enjoy Diablo games for the most part and this adds so much more depth to the action. If only the AI was a better challenge to match someone who mastered the controls. Fighting the mages was the scariest part of the game... I'd open a door and I wouldn't know what to expect. Powerful spells coming out (Soul Mage) or some guy running at least as fast as I do whacking me with a staff (Blood Mage).

Some of the traps towards the end were killer too. It'd be annoying to go through with click to move.