Avencast

Official 'Avencast - Rise of the Mage' discussion board
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: New Soul Mage: What spells do you use at first?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:59 pm 
Adept

Hi everyone. I just decided to give Avencast another try (after giving up a couple years ago in frustration with aiming my spells). I'm going to use Soul Magic exclusively and I'm wondering what exactly I'm supposed to be using early on. I've read up on certain spells, like Soul Chalice, but for the first 10 levels or so, what should I be getting? I got Ice Bullet, but it doesn't even do damage, so am I suppose to rely on Soul Shard for a long time? Or something else? Or melee anyway?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: New Soul Mage: What spells do you use at first?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:11 pm 

Take into account i can only speak from experience. I'm level 12.

The obelisk from the summoning school is amazing. Extra damage and takes the brunt of enemy attacks more often than not so you can stand there n cackle with glee as you lazer-beam things. It also counts as an obstacle, so things cant move or fire ranged attacks through it (though on a downside, you cant either).

Meteor of Might is also great. huge damage and long casting time means it's better suited to snipe enemies from a distance while they sit there blissfully ignorant of the incoming oblivion. Trying to use it once the enemy has noticed you often leads to frustration as most things will move out of it's path before it fires, even though you get a few seconds to aim it...As an interesting side-note, it DOES have a slight area of effect at the impact point, so you can damage more than one target, or even damage things hiding around a corner with a well-placed blast. My current favorite trick is to let the obelisk take the enemy then fire one of these babies at the obelisk, hitting everything attacking it.

Soul Chalice is also a must-have not only because it leads into Soul Beam eventually but also because it's mana efficient, does decent damage and is quick to fire :)

Post subject: Re: New Soul Mage: What spells do you use at first?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:24 pm 
Adept

Radiod wrote:
Take into account i can only speak from experience. I'm level 12.

The obelisk from the summoning school is amazing. Extra damage and takes the brunt of enemy attacks more often than not so you can stand there n cackle with glee as you lazer-beam things. It also counts as an obstacle, so things cant move or fire ranged attacks through it (though on a downside, you cant either).

Meteor of Might is also great. huge damage and long casting time means it's better suited to snipe enemies from a distance while they sit there blissfully ignorant of the incoming oblivion. Trying to use it once the enemy has noticed you often leads to frustration as most things will move out of it's path before it fires, even though you get a few seconds to aim it...As an interesting side-note, it DOES have a slight area of effect at the impact point, so you can damage more than one target, or even damage things hiding around a corner with a well-placed blast. My current favorite trick is to let the obelisk take the enemy then fire one of these babies at the obelisk, hitting everything attacking it.

Soul Chalice is also a must-have not only because it leads into Soul Beam eventually but also because it's mana efficient, does decent damage and is quick to fire :)

I finally managed to get Soul Chalice (without taking any other spells) and it's much better now. I also have Soul Hail for an AOE attack. I chose to skip summonings and the Meteor line because they didn't seem all that useful. I did try them out before reloading, however. Meteor takes way too long to cast!