Avencast

Official 'Avencast - Rise of the Mage' discussion board
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Advice for creating a Soul Mage
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:25 am 
Adept

I just thought I'd post what is essentially a distillation of all the advice I gathered from various posts on the forums about creating a Soul Mage. I just finished the game as a Soul Mage and it was a lot of fun.

The first thing I want to say is, at the time of writing there is only one FAQ on GameFAQs.com and it says:

"If you want to enjoy this game then choose blood magic path. But if you want to get a headache and make this game difficult even in easy level then i would recommend you to choose the soul magic path."

Honestly I have no idea why the author says this, because playing as a Soul Mage is extremely easy and enjoyable, and you become incredibly powerful. I'd love to know what experience the author had with a Soul Mage, because it sounds pretty bad. Maybe he/she just didn't liking the spellcasting, but you get used to it. There is nothing about a Soul Mage that is less powerful than a Blood Mage, I'm pretty sure about that.

Anyway, as far as what spells and attributes to spend points on, it's pretty easy:

Ice Bullet: Take all three levels as they become available. This is your crowd control spell that you will use just about every fight. You essentially take an enemy out of combat permanently (by recasting if necessary) while you burn it down with your damage-dealing spell. When I first saw that Ice Bullet did 0 damage, I skipped it -- but trust me, you will have another spell to deal damage, you definitely want Ice Bullet for control.

Soul Chalice: Very powerful, very cheap to cast, and the second level of it will penetrate enemies and hit all enemies near each other. This is your damage-dealing spell. Even though you won't have access to it until later, I recommend just sticking with Soul Shards until you get Soul Chalice. Don't be tempted to spend points on anything else.

Soul Hail: Not absolutely necessary, but it's an awesome AOE spell that for the most part is like casting Soul Chalice at multiple enemies in front of you (but it does not penetrate). I took it to have an AOE attack and it was worth it, in my opinion. There's only one level, so it costs just 6 points.

Soul Storm: Again, not necessary for most of the game, but it only costs 6 points and is extremely powerful. It costs 400 mana, but by the time you get to level 30+, that won't be a problem. I finished with about 500 mana, so I had enough to cast Soul Storm if necessary and still cast several Ice Bullets/Soul Chalices. It also came in very handy during the final battle.

Crystal Seahorse: Again, summons are not necessary but it's only 6 points and it helps distract the enemies and deal some damage, which could be useful during certain battles. Don't waste any points with any other summons.

As for attributes, I spent roughly 10-15 points on Health, just to have a comfort zone and not die too quickly, but those points probably weren't necessary. You rarely get hit, and you can always use potions to heal yourself during battle. Putting points into Health isn't necessary.

Occasionally I put some points into Mana, but after level 10 or so I never ran out, so I probably spent more points than I needed to. But if you want to use Soul Storm (which costs 400 mana), you may want to increase your mana pool so that you'll have a little extra for casting after you use Soul Storm.

All other points go into Soul Magic. This will massively increase your damage and you will be extremely powerful. Don't waste any points in Blood Magic, and don't take any Blood Magic spells.

Hope this helps!

Edit: One more point that I feel is very important. Before I got Soul Chalice, I relied solely on Soul Shards, which is not very powerful. However, I was also unsure of where to spend my points, so I amassed somewhere around 40-50 points before finally distributing them. Needless to say, this made me very underpowered because I should have been putting those points into Soul Magic. So while the beginning of the game was somewhat slow-going for me (particularly against the Spider Queen), I blame it on my hesitation to spend the points too early.

If you follow the advice above, then you will never have to hoard your points because all of the above spells become available at different levels (meaning you never have to save 6 points in order to take two or more spells at any one level). So get all of the above spells as they become available, and then spend 4/1 in Soul Magic/Mana. Every now and then you may want to put 2 into Mana, and perhaps a few in Health if you desire.

Post subject: Re: Advice for creating a Soul Mage
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:59 pm 

nice post but I have to disagree. I find that most all soul magic spells are useful. It just depends on play style. Also a few point spent on a spell instead of soul magic doesn't make a huge difference. I'm not advocating buying every spell but after trying most of them out I find you can basically buy a third to a half of the spells and have a different but effective mage every time.

Also I find the summons extremely useful for every level. If you wait to buy the last summon you're just making most of the game much harder on yourself. If you want to min/max that's fine but it only makes you stronger for the endgame.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:35 pm 
Adept

Vistar wrote:
nice post but I have to disagree. I find that most all soul magic spells are useful. It just depends on play style. Also a few point spent on a spell instead of soul magic doesn't make a huge difference. I'm not advocating buying every spell but after trying most of them out I find you can basically buy a third to a half of the spells and have a different but effective mage every time.

I'm sure you're right about that. I never said (or meant to suggest) that these were the only useful spells, but sometimes people like to have a guide for what to take. I didn't take other spells but I'm sure they are useful in some way. One reason for not mentioning them is my lack of experience with them, but also the comments I've read about them. For example, some people like Flame Lance, but others complain that having to remain standing still is a big drawback.

Quote:
Also I find the summons extremely useful for every level. If you wait to buy the last summon you're just making most of the game much harder on yourself. If you want to min/max that's fine but it only makes you stronger for the endgame.

Personally, I never used a summons until level 20 and I didn't feel like the game was hard at all. A lot of the time I didn't even use the seahorse unless the encounter was especially strange or crowded.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:24 pm 

Yea like I said its mostly preference. I only replied because for a while I was only using Ice Bolts and Soul Chalice and was getting bored so I tried some other things. You do mention the Soul Hail spells they are fast, fairly cheap, and can stagger and wipe out entire groups. The meteor spells are pretty fun if you can time them right with frozen enemies, as is fireball. The Firewall and Wave spells are also nice for groups if you like that better. If you don't mind buying a few blood magic spells, Vortex/Soul Storm combo is sick. I'm not trying to be overly critical and I appreciated your guide but more giving props to Clockstone as none of the spells are what I'd call useless.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:31 pm 
Adept

Vistar wrote:
Yea like I said its mostly preference. I only replied because for a while I was only using Ice Bolts and Soul Chalice and was getting bored so I tried some other things. You do mention the Soul Hail spells they are fast, fairly cheap, and can stagger and wipe out entire groups. The meteor spells are pretty fun if you can time them right with frozen enemies, as is fireball. The Firewall and Wave spells are also nice for groups if you like that better. If you don't mind buying a few blood magic spells, Vortex/Soul Storm combo is sick. I'm not trying to be overly critical and I appreciated your guide but more giving props to Clockstone as none of the spells are what I'd call useless.

I definitely agree that everyone should experiment and see what they like personally. In fact, I did try a few other spells, but I reloaded and didn't keep them. Meteor was one I just couldn't use...the casting time was just too long. Either I would get interrupted while casting, or the mob would move out of the way by the time I was done casting. The Firewall spell was kind of nice and probably a fun one to use against a big group of mobs, but again, Soul Hail was more than enough to clear a room, and also dealt with casters who don't approach you.

Sometimes when I start a new game like this, I like to have a plan for what my character is going to take, and I like to know what are the "best" spells, so that's why I wrote the guide with a limited selection. But you're right that there are many good spells in the game, certainly not *just* the ones I recommended. I'm sure anything you can add is appreciated by those looking for advice.

Edit: And yeah, you're right, by the time you get to level 35, I'm sure 18 or 24 or 30 (some multiple of 6) points spent on additional spells instead of Soul Magic won't make much of a difference. Of course, one downside is having to remember all the key combinations to cast all the spells! :)