Avencast

Official 'Avencast - Rise of the Mage' discussion board
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:57 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Soul Magic - How to Win! (Possible Spoliers)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:01 pm 

(Spoiler Alert) - Don't Read This If You Don't Want to Know How to Beat the Game Quick

I am not going to tell you how to beat specific encounters for as long as you use the strategy below - you will not be defeated ever.

Quick Guide:

Points: put all you extra points into Soul Magic. Only add points to Mana on a need to do bases. Forget HP because you are not planning on tanking.

Armor: Get +soul magic armor first and + mana regen armor second - all else you can ignore.

Strategy is to get your soul magic as high as possible because the higher you get the more damage you can cause.

Spells:

Soul Magic:

Glacial Soul Meter (your nuke)
Glacial Soul Hail (your AOE)
Inferno Lance (your dot)
Mighty Ice Bullet (your stun)

Summon:

Magic Shield
Obelisk
Scorpion
Golem

Those are all the spells you need to win the game. You can play with other spells based on your style, but those are the essentials.

Beginning:

Since you don't have much to start with, you will learn the art of avoidance. You can get out of the way by rolling over left-right. Roll and roll and roll. You don't want to get hit ever. Especially later, when a mob is near you - roll.

Pet are awesome to keep the mob distracted. Summon and resummon to recharge pet's HP and to get the mob's attention again.

Obelisk - place in strategic places and step back.
Scorpion - excellent ranged attacks
Golem - your tank against later harder enemies. Also has nasty knock-down.
Magic Shield - you can do without it earlier in the game but you need it in last fight with boss.

Spells:

Effective and quick strategy to win: Stun with your freeze than nuke. Your nuke has highest damage to lowest mana course. Against harder mobs - stun - nuke - stun - nuke-loot.

AOE spell is powerful against multiple enemies and is essential against boss mobs. Just spam your shield with ranged boss fights and AOE at every chance. You will not take a single hit and the destroyer of worlds will go under.

Your dot or lancet is excellent against tough mobs in end levels. Your pet will distract them as you dot 8-10 times at 80-100 damage every thing in line of fire. You are effectively torching them to death.

Indoors Fight: At door of new rooms summon pet and step back when too many mobs come at you. Don't let yourself be cornered. Lancet or freeze-nuke as needed. In later levels, you can die from a single hit - so roll to get out of the way and freeze those suckers that teleport fast.

Outdoor Fight: Target mobs at the edge of the screen then freeze and nuke.

Easiest Mob: Heralds and Imps of all kind
Most Annoying Mobs: Plague Flies and that Larvae Thingy that generates beetles.

There you go :)

Post subject: Re: Soul Magic - How to Win! (Possible Spoliers)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:55 am 
Mage

maldaye wrote:

Spells:

Soul Magic:

Glacial Soul Meter (your nuke)
Glacial Soul Hail (your AOE)
Inferno Lance (your dot)
Mighty Ice Bullet (your stun)

Summon:

Magic Shield
Obelisk
Scorpion
Golem

Those are all the spells you need to win the game. You can play with other spells based on your style, but those are the essentials.

I beg to differ, the only three offensive spells that I used for me as Soul Mage is the Fat Nuke (for early game), the UP DOWN move (mid-end game) and the Ultimate Attack (for eye candy).

If I were to replay Soul Magic again, I'll probably pick Shadow Walk over Scorpion/Obelisk summoning any time. Golem is rock solid (pun intended)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:37 pm 
Adept

i beat the game totally different...

i did not put anythin into blood magic at all, and i did not buy magic shield either and did fine against last boss without magic shield (very easy actually). what i did was spamming the glacial soul hail while running around avoiding his attacks until he died...

and i did not buy inferno lance either... imo the soul ball thingy is way better because it goes through all enemeis and does great damage and is really fast which makes it easy to aim and hit! and you can move while you spam it! with inferno, you cant move...

and your summons gets longer duration and possible stronger by your magic.. so puttin points into a golem is kinda waste when you can have the fast moving sea horse (which does more damage than any of your spell with its close-up spray attack). and by the end of the game i had 1000+mana which helps because you dont need to use so much mana potions and you can keep spamming glacial soul everywhere! i think its good to balance your mana and soul magic because the extra damage you do with more soul magic points is kinda bad, so i think you will actually do alot more damage if you can get enough mana to pull one extra glacial soul, which means you do double damage!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:43 pm 

I agree to everything said here however, I personally do not like the inferno lance as it causes your character to stand still. I would replace it with the Soul chalice line as it goes through all opponents (also goes through summons without damaging them) and is the only offence spell that is strong against Soul resistant enemies. For a dot replacement I prefer Soul Storm. It has the highest dammage in the game and knocks down opponents. Also if you really want to make the game easy as pie get Vortex of Paralysis from Blood Mage tree. Sucks all the enemies in a large area into its center. Unfortunately, it has the first level Blood Mage cold stun as a pre-req but the vortex is totally kick ass worth it (makes four arms pathetically easy to beat).

The nice thing about this build is that it takes up the same amount of points to do this as the original recommended build as vortex replaces any need for summons at all. I believe for this build you need about 446 mana in order to cast vortex and soul storm consecutively. The rest of your points can go into Soul Magic mastery. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:11 am 
Adept

i forget what it's called, but i used all my points on soul magic and bought the like ice bolt things, that u get 50 of when you do the spell, and spammed my enemies with that the whole game :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:34 am 
Mage

only way i was able to pass the trail area to get my stone was to use summoning soul magic. i was getting handed to by this giant spider, and the crystal kritters. i wounder how they came up with the crystal crabs. i mean, ive never seen em in games before.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:45 pm 
Adept

how to beat hard difficulty"
the 5 "D"s of hard: Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and... Dodge
CHEAT!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:33 am 

We know that the more spells you get, the less you can spend on attributes. For power gaming, it would be best to take less spells.
Best spells:
Ice Bullet - use this almost every fight. Take all 3 levels of it.
Soul Chalice - The level 18 Soul Chalice is the best spell and goes through enemies like an AoE and it's quick casting.
Sea Horse - Do not get Golem, because it's duration depends on the blood magic stat.
Average Spells:
Ice Sparks - it's ok but not essential.
Soul Storm - high dmg AoE, but takes a lot of mana.
Soul Hail - good low mana AoE .
Meteor nukes - The highest dmg nuke, but it takes way too long to cast.
Worst Spells:
Wave of Annihilation - I dont like the mana/dmg ratio and Soul Hail is a better AoE.
Inferno Lance - you can't move.
Soul Nova - bad range and mana/dmg ratio.

On my 2nd play through, I only took Ice Bullet, Soul Chalice, Sea Horse and Shield for the end. I put every single attribute point into Soul for max damage. I did not need much mana, because the level 18 Soul Chalice only takes 32 mana. I kept all the gear that gave me +soul. Do not bother with Blood spells like Vortex and Shadow Walk - they are good, but they take away points you need for soul.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:26 pm 

How is this?:

Suggested Soul Mage Spell Progression:

Level 1 - Wave of Power
Level 2 - Ice Bullet
Level 3 – Meteor of Might
Level 6 – Obelisk
Level 9 – Mighty Ice Bullet
Level 10 – Firewall of Penetration
Level 11 – Firewall
Level 12 – Crystal Scorpion
Level 13 – Inferno Wall