Avencast

Official 'Avencast - Rise of the Mage' discussion board
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: My review, and a suggestion for future titles!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:16 am 
Offline
Adept

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:43 am
Posts: 18
Avencast is pretty good, im not really into linear games too much, but other's that ive played have been really good, such as Phantasy Star Universe, which is easily in my top 5 favorite games. (I've played like 500 and have around 200 lol, so thats saying a lot.) Avencast is fairly high up there:

Graphics: 9 (Very good, not perfect, considering I prefer first person, but still excellent for what it is.)
UI and Controls: 9 (I have never played a game quite like this, and it is amazing, I hope other game studios are inspired by this game, and even greater systems are created.)
Sound: 8 (Good voice acting, music and ambience.)
Storyline: 6 (It's ok, not much else to say about it. Personally I don't like it, too much of the same thing. Would like to see more of a diverse journey.

Over all: 8.0

I've been hearing talk of an expansion or new Avencast game and would like to ensure it is as good as possible! And so, I'm presenting the following in hopes of bringing Avencast or other games that follow one of a kind masterpieces... actually Avencast is pretty one of a kind... so lets make it MORE of a one of a kind masterpiece =) lol.

So, I've thought of something that would really make this game shine: a spell creation system! Have each spell broken down into parts, such as the basic spell shape [such as a wave of power, meteor of might, inferno wall, or inferno lance (I only name soul magic spells because I dont know the names of blood magic spells or what they do.)], the types of magic it uses, its casting time, whether it's area of effect or not and then set the area it effects, and other advanced effects, such as knockdown, freeze, poison, push back, blind or silence [(blind being what it already is in the game, or the next 2 or so spells cast fire in a random direction within 45 degrees, both ways, of the current target, for 5 seconds.) (Silence preventing you from casting any spell for 5 seconds)]etc. The level of these effects are adjustable of course.

Of course all spells would be relative to your level, mana cost, and since Gorlin just loves this little idea, he has a spell creation station, and charges a pretty penny for its use, depending mainly on how powerful the spell is, in an attempt to keep things from being too overpowered.

A good example would be something like this:
Shape - Wave
Magic used - Soul + Ice
Damage Done - 85 to 110
Casting Time - .5 seconds
Area of effect (Since it's a wave, choose the width of the wave) - 5ft (little under 2m) (or something, I would need something to relate it to if I were to make a reasonable choice here, but assume that it is the same width of the regular wave spell.)
Advanced Abilities - Freeze (2 seconds) Silence (5 seconds)

Requirements for this spell:
Magic Type - Soul Magic
Level Requirement - 20
Mana Cost - 115
Gorlin's Price - 12500 Guilders (Maybe a little bit expensive?) How about we remove all damage from this spell to make it cheaper.

Or maybe thats still too much, so we change it to do no damage, but everything else is the same:
Magic Type - Soul Magic
Level Requirement - 19
Mana Cost - 95
Gorlin's Price - 8000 Guilders

I would call this spell, "Wave of Frozen Energy"

You may still think that's a lot but remember that this spell passes through enemies, so it could freeze 20 at once, if you were lucky enough to get them all in the right spot.

Make Your Own Spell!
Just copy and paste the following set up into your reply, and add the appropriate info in the [] spaces.

Spell Stats:
Shape - []
Magic Used - []
Damage Done - []
Casting Time - []
Affected Area - []
Advanced Abilities/Other effects - []

Spell Requirements:
Magic Type - []
Level Required - []
Mana Cost - []
Price of Spell - []

The Name of Your Spell - []

Of course I dont know everything, but if I feel your spell's Requirements are off, I will post a reply with requirements that I think are more reasonable.


Last edited by LemonyLime on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion if/when an another game is added to this series!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:51 am 
Offline
Kyranian Master

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:21 pm
Posts: 353
Thanks a lot for your ideas! Maybe this spell creation system finds its way into an add-on or sequel to Avencast!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My review, and a suggestion for future titles!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:47 pm
Posts: 3
Michael,

i am curious as to what the deciding factor will be as far as making an expansion or add-on. i assume that funds will play a major role in the decision. also, will the next version also be available for purchase via download from TGN?

thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My review, and a suggestion for future titles!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:07 pm 
Offline
Kyranian Master

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:21 pm
Posts: 353
funding is a major factor of course. We might make an xbox 360 versionof Avencast with some addition features that could as well make their way into an add-on. But I can't give you details on that unfortunately...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My review, and a suggestion for future titles!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:33 pm 
Offline
Mage

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 27
i dont get how you can give the story a 6... or the 9 cause its not a fps view... i mean common, you baught an rpg. Clockstone is Elite for pulling off a grade A game like this with the budget they have. game engines cost alot. voice over cost alot, art and assets cost alot. there not bioware where they cause make 3 mass effect games and go "we dont care if they tank"... Clockstone, dont listen to Mr. 6 here. i for one feel lucky to have had the chance to listen to your story thought you be constrained by people of illvision and unkind wallets.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My review, and a suggestion for future titles!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:48 pm 
Offline
Adept

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:43 am
Posts: 18
warlordfallen wrote:
i dont get how you can give the story a 6... or the 9 cause its not a fps view... i mean common, you baught an rpg. Clockstone is Elite for pulling off a grade A game like this with the budget they have. game engines cost alot. voice over cost alot, art and assets cost alot. there not bioware where they cause make 3 mass effect games and go "we dont care if they tank"... Clockstone, dont listen to Mr. 6 here. i for one feel lucky to have had the chance to listen to your story thought you be constrained by people of illvision and unkind wallets.

Perhaps you didnt notice that in every category I said it was great except storyline, which I only gave a 6 because I didnt like it... what games do you not like that other ppl do? Cause I think you're being very unfair to them, for having a different opinion. And besides I don't see you spending 2 hours writing something in order to help the game, that NO ONE beside Michael even paid attention to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My review, and a suggestion for future titles!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:21 am 
Offline
Mage

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 27
because, you said 6 because YOU DIDNT LIKE IT. this is why i posted the comment at all. you ever stop and thing that your egotistical? i like all games. kids learning ones up to adult. ive played all the mmo's, and every retail game i could buy. rts, rpg, sim, flight, fight, sports, you name it. i played it. now its time to get over yourself, your not that important. the devs are polite, so they try to post to everyone.

you should know they didnt have the funding to go all out, yet look at the quality of the game. its outstanding. and ive baught games that where a hell'ava lot worse that got higher scores. this game is worth the cash and the time. the basis of your review was what you wanted. and its totally irashional. read a book, and write the author and complain the story wasnt diverse enought. "the charicter didnt have many choices". your playing a story line... what you should do is give them a high score, because dispite there limitations they did a geat game. and you should hope that they get a chance to do more. and more. and make better and better games. but if you expect to get what you like, then you will always be let down. now, you wana call me rude, ill be rude. you called me out. now i call you out, your a egotistical pansie who cant take a bit of critisism yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My review, and a suggestion for future titles!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:05 am
Posts: 1
/rant

warlordfallen wrote:
because, you said 6 because YOU DIDNT LIKE IT. this is why i posted the comment at all. you ever stop and thing that your egotistical? i like all games. kids learning ones up to adult. ive played all the mmo's, and every retail game i could buy. rts, rpg, sim, flight, fight, sports, you name it. i played it. now its time to get over yourself, your not that important. the devs are polite, so they try to post to everyone.

you should know they didnt have the funding to go all out, yet look at the quality of the game. its outstanding. and ive baught games that where a hell'ava lot worse that got higher scores. this game is worth the cash and the time. the basis of your review was what you wanted. and its totally irashional. read a book, and write the author and complain the story wasnt diverse enought. "the charicter didnt have many choices". your playing a story line... what you should do is give them a high score, because dispite there limitations they did a geat game. and you should hope that they get a chance to do more. and more. and make better and better games. but if you expect to get what you like, then you will always be let down. now, you wana call me rude, ill be rude. you called me out. now i call you out, your a egotistical pansie who cant take a bit of critisism yourself.


Firstly warlordfallen, before you tell anyone to go read a book, you should consult a dictionary. Its not that hard to figure out to spell words like: bought, character, and please ffs figure out how "your" and "you're" work, its really not that complicated.

I've read through a few of your "counter-posts" and all you do is post poorly constructed arguments against others' opinions. Well you know what, 99.99% of the world isn't goint to agree with your opinion most of the time, thats the way the world works. In my opinion, giving the story at 6 is VERY generous. There is nothing original in the story that hasn't been seen in other books and games. You're an orphan child?! -> Cliché, You are an novice character who all of a sudden has to save the world?! -> Cliché, Head Mage was a bad guy all along?! -> Cliché, OMG Demon portal to another universe?! -> Cliché... and the list goes on.

Regarding the storyline, the fact of the matter is that it is extremely linear. As previously mentioned there are no game altering choices. Being Blood or Soul has no impact on the outcome of the game. There are 2 environments throughout the whole game, 3 if you want to count the 35 seconds you spend in the Fairy Well. The dialogue is cheesy at best and the characters themselves are so two dimensional that it is not even worth talking to the various NPCs throughout the levels. And seriously, flip-book cutscenes... that was weak.

That being said, I realize that funding can be an issue, and that is unfortunate but I would never settle for a substandard TV, or accounting software, or car because the developer was short of funding. That would be like me building an airplane out of cardboard and telling people that don't like how it flies to blame it on the funding.

The gameplay was promising at first, but it is inevitable that all 3rd person games of this genre come down to just a few repeated strokes. SW L-Mouse and AD L-Mouse for me. We may see a shift towards a new standard with this system but it will have to be developed much farther in my opinion. And why not have a simple run function? Whenever you can roll faster than you can walk, you've got a problem with your physics.

For the price I paid, $20 CDN I am not dissapointed. It was obvious at the time of purchase that this was not going to be a genre altering game, but I expected far more entertainment than running back and forth between rooms to retrieve Energy Crystals (Cliché!) and selling/buying items from a stupid Gnome or wtf he was.

And seriously:
warlordfallen wrote:
your a egotistical pansie

Gay bashing? Bigots like you should be taken out of society and again, for the love of everything that is good in this world, LEARN TO SPELL AND RESEARCH WORDS IN A DICTIONARY BEFORE YOU USE THEM!

/endrant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My review, and a suggestion for future titles!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:53 pm
Posts: 1
I don't like the idea about creating own spells, as in all games which it has been included it has failed badly. I would rather recommend having the curret spell system, with some tweaks of course. Which these should be I don't know. But some suggestions;
- Spend multipe points into one spell to improve it (Maybe there is room for a spell ''improving'' system here, almost similliar to the crafting system topic creator suggested?)
- Make spells more powerfull and impressive, with cool and unique effects for each one! There is NO SUCH thing as TOO MUCH POWER. Spawn more enemies, and decrease their life pool. Everyone loves running around splatting creeps into bloody gore, it feels awesome.
- More spell trees, maybe one for each or so? Suggestions are;
>Arcane
>Life
>Death
>Air
>Earth
>Water
>Fire
- Unique classes, with unique characters along with each one. Skip the clichés! *points on ''dawn of magic'' and the bakers wife..ahhaa''

_________________
I should have become a watchmaker. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My review, and a suggestion for future titles!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:45 am 
Offline
Adept

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:43 am
Posts: 18
Reddeker wrote:
/rant

warlordfallen wrote:
because, you said 6 because YOU DIDNT LIKE IT. this is why i posted the comment at all. you ever stop and thing that your egotistical? i like all games. kids learning ones up to adult. ive played all the mmo's, and every retail game i could buy. rts, rpg, sim, flight, fight, sports, you name it. i played it. now its time to get over yourself, your not that important. the devs are polite, so they try to post to everyone.

you should know they didnt have the funding to go all out, yet look at the quality of the game. its outstanding. and ive baught games that where a hell'ava lot worse that got higher scores. this game is worth the cash and the time. the basis of your review was what you wanted. and its totally irashional. read a book, and write the author and complain the story wasnt diverse enought. "the charicter didnt have many choices". your playing a story line... what you should do is give them a high score, because dispite there limitations they did a geat game. and you should hope that they get a chance to do more. and more. and make better and better games. but if you expect to get what you like, then you will always be let down. now, you wana call me rude, ill be rude. you called me out. now i call you out, your a egotistical pansie who cant take a bit of critisism yourself.


Firstly warlordfallen, before you tell anyone to go read a book, you should consult a dictionary. Its not that hard to figure out to spell words like: bought, character, and please ffs figure out how "your" and "you're" work, its really not that complicated.

I've read through a few of your "counter-posts" and all you do is post poorly constructed arguments against others' opinions. Well you know what, 99.99% of the world isn't goint to agree with your opinion most of the time, thats the way the world works. In my opinion, giving the story at 6 is VERY generous. There is nothing original in the story that hasn't been seen in other books and games. You're an orphan child?! -> Cliché, You are an novice character who all of a sudden has to save the world?! -> Cliché, Head Mage was a bad guy all along?! -> Cliché, OMG Demon portal to another universe?! -> Cliché... and the list goes on.

Regarding the storyline, the fact of the matter is that it is extremely linear. As previously mentioned there are no game altering choices. Being Blood or Soul has no impact on the outcome of the game. There are 2 environments throughout the whole game, 3 if you want to count the 35 seconds you spend in the Fairy Well. The dialogue is cheesy at best and the characters themselves are so two dimensional that it is not even worth talking to the various NPCs throughout the levels. And seriously, flip-book cutscenes... that was weak.

That being said, I realize that funding can be an issue, and that is unfortunate but I would never settle for a substandard TV, or accounting software, or car because the developer was short of funding. That would be like me building an airplane out of cardboard and telling people that don't like how it flies to blame it on the funding.

The gameplay was promising at first, but it is inevitable that all 3rd person games of this genre come down to just a few repeated strokes. SW L-Mouse and AD L-Mouse for me. We may see a shift towards a new standard with this system but it will have to be developed much farther in my opinion. And why not have a simple run function? Whenever you can roll faster than you can walk, you've got a problem with your physics.

For the price I paid, $20 CDN I am not dissapointed. It was obvious at the time of purchase that this was not going to be a genre altering game, but I expected far more entertainment than running back and forth between rooms to retrieve Energy Crystals (Cliché!) and selling/buying items from a stupid Gnome or wtf he was.

And seriously:
warlordfallen wrote:
your a egotistical pansie

Gay bashing? Bigots like you should be taken out of society and again, for the love of everything that is good in this world, LEARN TO SPELL AND RESEARCH WORDS IN A DICTIONARY BEFORE YOU USE THEM!

/endrant


Thank you, Reddeker. I see no reason to be attacked when trying to give constructive criticism on a game that I love.

And to you warlordfallen, of course I review the game based on what I like, there is no such thing as a review that isnt based on the reviewer's opinion, there just isnt. So to call me egotistical for being just like everyone else makes no sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group