Avencast

Official 'Avencast - Rise of the Mage' discussion board
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:21 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Show Your Char!!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:46 pm 

Level 38 Blood Mage, Difficulty Hard

I finished the game as a Blood mage on the Hard Level
I did all quests 'xcept the boiling barrels in the Academy and hunted down and killed all the beasts that I could find. I saved my points to the end and I only bought some mana the Hammer of Blood Vengeance (that required 4 other spells) and the Meteor of Might from Soul spells and no Summoning spells.
It so happened that I came to fight Morgath with 320 points unspent! I simply expected I would have time to prepare but I was dragged into the fight. After playing and losing immeasurable times I scanned the forum for tips and saw about the shield. Then I discovered I could pause the game and even so I could do things with the inventory and the spell table like equip weapons, buy spells etc. So I bought the Shield but I decided to stick with the same Blood Points (505 including magic items points) for the heck of it. This way I finally managed to beat Morgath and finish the game.
Playing was a most enjoyable experience.
I used the camera hack I found on this forum to get a better view of the surroundings and see further away.
I really liked the way I could easily zoom in (middle mouse) to fight and land my blows more accurately and zoom out when exploring to get a better view from above
The F keys were a hustle so I remapped (options-keyboard) the two spells I used, to Space (for the Hammer) and Right-Click (for the Meteor).
I assigned Left-Ctrl to dodge and Left-Alt to Attack2 which I never used anyway. This was much better since I could move and strike almost instantly without searching the keyboard.
I dont regret making it hard for myself, because this way I was forced to practice my moves and timing waiting for the enemy to begin the attack, then step aside from the line of attack and strike at once. At the later chapters however I just used lure-wait behind the corner for ranged attackers-run away to recharge mana and repeat.
You can actually avoid taking on more than two enemies at a time, by using ranged attack to lure and running away if overwhelmed. I remember only one case this was not possible and then you could retreat to a nearby corner with a large jar conveniently placed in front so the (big fat) enemies could not reach you but you could hit them anyway.
Sometimes an enemy is below the ledge you are standing (or you can lure him there) and hit him and he just stands there. (feature? bug? defective AI? cannot find path to reach you?) Then some other times an enemy gets inside a wall and cannot get out. He cannot touch you and you cannot hit him. Once or twice the game froze my PC and I had to reboot. I think this happened when the game was displaying combat explosion FX and I tried to open the menu. But then this could be due to some graphics driver incompatibility or sth.
Aside from these few glitches the game is excellent and congratulations are due for the programmer and the whole team. I also agree with a comment from a previous gamer that the games can gain loads in replayability if the element of randomness is introduced (ie random dungeons/chests/items)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:33 pm 

hawkair wrote:
Sometimes an enemy is below the ledge you are standing (or you can lure him there) and hit him and he just stands there. (feature? bug? defective AI? cannot find path to reach you?)

if u r playing with the camera hack it happens sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:03 pm 

My soul mage, Timian. Fun game!

Attachments:
timian80.jpg
timian80.jpg [ 153.34 KiB | Viewed 3053 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:20 am 

i have a level 40 Blood Mage, but i don't know how to screencap him from the game. but i'll post something if i get the chance to do so.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:26 pm 

I finished the game some time ago and found it pretty nice! :) Here 's my 37 lvl soul mage, i killed every enemy i found and finished all the quests except the one with Theodosius staff (cause i wanted to keep the staff :D).

My hero:

My items' info:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 pm 

simonmorrison23 wrote:
i have a level 40 Blood Mage, but i don't know how to screencap him from the game. but i'll post something if i get the chance to do so.

Use the Prt screen button from your keyboard and then paste it in paint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:18 am 

hello everyone......