Avencast

Official 'Avencast - Rise of the Mage' discussion board
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:24 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Your favorite riddle / mystery (!!!MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 pm 
Adept

This one goes out to those who has either finished the game or are still playing!

!!!MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!
For me it must've been the satisfaction of figuring out the Planetarium and the mirrors, took me a good nights sleep however!
I also really loved the image-puzzle at the two snakes just before you're gonna fight The Don. (Not really The Don (: )

Finished in approx. two days as a pure soul mage focusing heavily on soul magic. At level 30 my soul magic is around 690 doing insane damage. A bit of a glasscannon though, but I loved it.

Thanks for a great rpg, one of the few this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:44 pm 
Kyranian Master

Thanks a lot :D It's sooo good to get such feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:48 pm 
Adept

the one in the kyranian fortress with a big square patch of all little scuare patches with no know how to go through, i just saved and loaded all the time :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm 
Aventroll

I thought the one with you needing Gorlin to get you out of that locked transporter room was pretty clever... the illusion bridge was ok, too. I would have loved more books with quest material though - like the door you open using the name of the murderer. Something like that, but much more of it, with much more text and many more riddles alike, that sort of thing really adds to the gameplay and forces the player to familiarize himself with the story and back-story well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:04 pm 
Mage

I like the Gorlin transporting and the illusion bridge as well. Specifically, I like those puzzle that you should use an item in another creative way, like freezing the water in crypt with the cooling spell given earlier.

What I don't like about the puzzles is if they have no in-game answers after you searched high and low. One example is the Shrine Art puzzle after the museum area. Had to post in this subforum for answer.

Maybe if you want players to explore all puzzles (and rewards), put a 'busybody' NPC that reminds the players of available quests. Words like "I heard X is looking/missing/search for something" or "Have you heard what happened to X? Oh dear..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:47 pm 
Adept

My favourite puzzle, is that one that still has me stuck, even after at least 50 hours of total playtime...

Finding the secret involved with the locked mage meeting room is where I'm stuck, the one for which you can't initially open once youve arrived in the masters quarter until you've found whichever peice of paper it is that lies somewhere in that 'quest hub'. I've gotten the password, and I've found the secret room at the back of that meeting room. I've also noticed that if you arrive at that secret room pretty early after have started the Master's Quarters, trying to use action anywhere in that room does nothing, ... however, once i was about to depart to the basement, i noticed that 2 pictures in that room had a inscription to read if i tried using them again. I can't remember what exactly the inscriptions read, but I remember them being VERY vague. And thats as far I've gotten into trying to find whatever this secret this room holds. I'm certain theres a secret in this room as its not part of the story line, but yet was initially locked to you... why locked if not significant in someway!

This stupid room is driving me nuts ... !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:09 am 

Well, I never had any problems with finding the Secret Archmage Whatever, but I really loved the way you had to kill that I-something boss in the Planetarium.

Post subject: Re: Your favorite riddle / mystery (!!!MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:53 am 

illusion bridge and floor tiles... a bit inspired by indiana jones? :D
generally i liked the riddles a lot, one of the best parts in the game, they're mostly clever, challenging (but not too much) and make for a hard fought change after the slaughtering.

i guess i liked the planetarium (especially dealing with indragul) best, but also small and easy things like the crystal crab or the two-sided puzzle shortly before the end.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:48 pm 
Adept

The firewall is my favourite.

Took me ages to work out that there was no invisible path... Is there supposed to be?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:28 pm 
Adept

i like the most the firewall and the illusion bridge. they are not that challenging though, i find fighting monsters tougher than those riddles. i mean the wolgaths